Can STI infections in my semen be passed to my partner?  | YoSperm Test

Can STI infections in my semen be passed to my partner? 

Can infections in my semen (STIs) be passed to my partner? 

 What are STI’s?

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are infections in which a bacteria or virus is present in the ejaculate. And yes, if they are present, they can be passed to your partner.

What are the symptoms of an STI? 

How do you know that a sexually transmitted infection is present? Some of the classic signs and symptoms are:

Gonorrhea and or chlamydia

  1. Mucous green discharge from the penis
  2. Burning during urination


  1. Painless ulcer on penis is classic
  2. Symmetric maculopapular rashes on the trunk or extremities
  3. Undiagnosed ulcers of the genitals and rash on the palms or soles

HIV1/2 – the symptoms are more vague so check this resource out.


What is important to point out is that gonorrhea and chlamydia (which are immediately treatable with antibiotics) can manifest as urethritis (inflammation of the urethra) or epididymitis (inflammation of the epididymis). In these infections, the semen will have white blood cells which are present in an infection.  Generally, the doctor will begin antibiotic treatment immediately when a man reports any signs or symptoms of urethritis/epididymitis because the treatment is readily available, inexpensive and effective.

Interested in checking your swimmers?

YO For Mobile
Buy Now
Buy Now

Kenan Omurtag, MD, Reproductive Endocrinologist

Kenan Omurtag, MD is an Associate Professor in reproductive endocrinology and infertility at the Washington University St. Louis School of Medicine and one of the youngest physicians to be board-certified in both obstetrics and gynecology and reproductive endocrinology and infertility. In addition to his clinical work, Dr Omurtag is recognized for his research focusing on male factor infertility and fertility preservation. Dr. Omurtag believes in the power of compassion, advocacy and innovative technology to help people become parents.

Kenan Omurtag, MD, Reproductive Endocrinologist